One of the main items that you need to climb trees is your rope. A good quality rope is essential, as you need to make sure that you buy the right rope to ensure your safety. There are a ton of different options out there, and you need to make sure the rope you’ve got is static, and doesn’t have too much pull in it.
But when you’re looking for rope, what one should you opt for? Well, here’s some of the best options that are currently available.
Best Tree Climbing Rope
Pelican Arborist Rope
- CLIMBING & RESCUE ROPE – A dependable arborist climbing rope designed by Pelican Rope, the most trusted name in rope. Built from 100% polyester strands, this high strength, low-flex cord can handle the heavy loads & friction that tree work requires. The Pelican Arborist Rope features a tough, braided chemical-resistant polyester cover & a non-rotational nylon braided core, best for tree cutters or climbing fixed lines with ascenders & hauling loads.
- POLYESTER COVER – Polyester has the least stretch and flexibility among the common synthetic rope materials & won’t sag, slip, or distort under exertion. The synthetic fibers are highly resistant to abrasion & built to handle excessive friction without tearing or fraying. A perfect rope for the outdoors, polyester is naturally resistant to moisture, UV ray degradation, & most weather.
- HIGH TENSILE STRENGTH – Our arborist climbing ropes have a tested tensile strength of 7,000 pounds, ensuring you have a rope that can meet any of your project needs. Great for climbers who want to use climbing hardware that requires a smaller-diameter line, but who prefer a slightly larger grip.
- ROPE DIAMETER & LENGTH – Available in precut lengths of 120 feet, 150 feet, or 200 feet rope hanks with the option of adding a spliced eye to one end. Arborist-24 has a 11.7 mm diameter, combining the lightweight characteristics of 11 mm ropes with the more conventional sizing of 1/2” climbing lines. The braided filament polyester core keeps the rope firm & flexible even after extensive work use.
- QUALITY TRADITION: For over 40 years, our focus has been putting our customers’ trust first, never sacrificing quality to preserve margin. The combination of values, quality & expertise allows us to provide the highest level of quality & service.
If you’re looking for a really high quality tree climbing rope, then it makes sense to consider this rope by Pelican. They’re well known as one of the best suppliers of rope, so you can be sure the rope you’re getting is of a high quality.
This rope has a very high strength, and is capable of supporting very high weights. It has a diameter of 11.7mm diameter, which should be perfect for climbing. Any arborist that’s used Pelican rope can tell you just how good it is.
You can buy it both with and without a spliced end eye. So if you want a really good quality climbing rope, then this is definitely going to be the best choice.
Perantlb Double Braid
- 【High quality】Unlike other cheap stitch rope, our rope was made of 16-Strand core. The length is 150ft. Moderate softness and strong binding ability,outer skin twisted,more wear-resisting and durable.
- 【Professional design】Low ductility static rope can reduce the security risks caused by the extension of the rope, lightweight but strong strength,moderate size easy to control,easy to carry out after rolled.
- 【Widely application】 Escape, Fire Survival, Backup, Climbing, Hiking, Camping, Downhill, Engineering protection, Lanyard, Tree Stand Accessories, Training, Aloft work, Caving, Abseiling, SRT etc.
- 【Satisfaction Guaranteed】Our aim is to satisfy our customers. Regardless of any questions you have about the product, please contact us immediately. We will definitely make you satisfied.
Another good quality of arborist rope is this Perantlb, which is made to be a really high quality. It has a length of more than 120 feet, and is perfect for those looking for a soft and resistant rope.
It’s very static, whilst still lightweight enough to be carried around with you wherever you go. It has a diameter of approximately 10.9mm, and it has high flexibility. This rope can be used for more than just tree climbing, but it works well for this purpose due to it’s design. It’s also a very decent price too, so if you’re looking for a low cost arborist rope, then this might be the best budget friendly choice.
SGT KNOTS Arborist Climbing Rope
- CLIMBING LINE - A dependable arborist climbing rope designed by All Gear, a leader and pioneer in the arbor rope industry. Built from 100% polyester strands, this high strength, low-flex cord can handle the heavy loads and friction that tree work require.
- POLYESTER BENEFITS - Polyester has the least stretch and flexibility among the common synthetic rope materials and won’t sag, slip, or distort under exertion. The synthetic fibers are highly resistant to abrasion and built to handle excessive friction without tearing or fraying. A perfect rope for the outdoors, polyester is naturally resistant to moisture, UV ray degradation, and most weather.
- HIGH TENSILE STRENGTH - Our climbing cords have a tested tensile strength range of: (6,300 pounds, 24-strand) to (7,500 pounds, 16-strand) ensuring you have a cord that can meet any of your project’s needs.
- LENGTH and WIDTH - Choose between pre-cut lengths 120 feet, 150 feet, 200 feet, or 600 feet. SGT KNOTS Arborist Rope diameter thickness options: 7/16 inch or 1/2 inch. Available in 3 colors: Neon Orange / Neon Yellow (Safetylite), White with Red Tracer (Forestry Pro), or Neon Orange / Red (Cherry Bomb).
- VETERAN OWNED and OPERATED - Just like the Marine Corps, SGT KNOTS is committed to being the best of the best. We continue to live by the motto, Semper Fidelis—Always Faithful. Our loyalty to our customers is what makes us who we are, and the reason we continue to grow in popularity and product offerings. We promise to maintain the strength and consistency of our products. We also pass down our bulk savings to our customers.
Another more expensive arborist rope is this option from Sgt Knots. It’s pretty expensive, but generally climbing rope is when you’re looking for higher qualities. It’s made to be a very high strength, as it’s made entirely of polyester strands.
Due to it’s polyester material, this means that it has a very low elasticity and the rope itself is static enough to be perfect for tree climbers. In terms of diameter, you actually have the choice between 7/16 inch or 1/2 inch thick, depending on which you prefer. You can also get this rope in a variety of different lengths too, all the way up to 600 feet long.
This rope is designed to be used by the military, so you can be sure that it’s of the best quality. And overall, although it’s expensive, it’s another option that you should probably consider.
12 Strand Blue Ox Polyester Arborist Climbing Rope
- 12- strand polyester
- Made in the USA
- High visibility
- About 8,000 pounds tensile strength
- Arborist tree climbing rope
Another rope with great strength is this Blue Ox rope, which has around 8000lbs tensile strength. It’s made to be seen at very high visibilities due to it’s bright coloring. It’s also made in the US, so if you like home grown products, then it might be the right rope for you.
If you want a high quality 12 strand polyester arborist rope, then you’ll definitely want to consider this option. It has a good knot retention, which makes it the perfect choice for tying arborist knots.
YUZENET Braided Polyester Arborist Rigging Rope
- 【Specifiction】-Materials:premium polyester, diameter:3/8 inch, length:100 feet, 3520 Lbs tensile strength.
- 【Property】-Excellent resistance to moisture,UV rays. tightly woven very durable,the rope is also flexible enough for operator to easily make knots.
- 【New Technology】-Adopts high strength nylon at its core, high pulling force is ensured. hot melt cutting technology, effectively prevent the rope from spreading.
- 【Application】-It has various usages, you can cut it to different length for your requirement. Ideal for halyard,arborist rigging rope,sailboat weathered line,tree work,camping,climbing,swings,etc.
- 【Attention】-Please avoid the rope from touching sharp objects during rope working, in case of causing the rope to be broken.
Finally, this is another braided polyester rope to consider if you’re going to be going tree climbing. The best thing about this rope is that it’s much cheaper than most of the other ropes mentioned, even though it’s not much lower in terms of quality. The high quality design helps it to be completely weather proof, and it’s capable to supporting large weights too.
So, whilst it’s also good quality and weather resistant, it’s also easily spliceable too. It has a 2000lb breaking strength, and it’s definitely worth adding to your possible purchase list.
Common Questions about Tree Climbing Rope
Can you use rock climbing rope for tree climbing?
No, it’s best to use arborist rope for tree climbing and not any other sort of rope. Climbing rope specifically is designed to be quite elastic, to support any large falls that one might have while rock climbing. Arborist rope needs to be stiffer than this, but still give you the ability to tie knots.
What is arborist rope?
Arborist rope is rope that is specifically designed for climbing trees. It’s different to other types of climbing ropes out there, so it’s important that you get the right one.
Is arborist rope static or dynamic?
Arborist rope is significantly more static than it is dynamic. We don’t want to use a highly elastic rope for climbing trees, as it’s not going to provide the support that we need.
How much does arborist rope stretch?
It really depends on the arborist rope that you’re going to use. However, most ropes will stretch to around 10% extra than their length, which is pretty standard for a static rope.
What other tools does an arborist need?
There is a ton of other equipment that an arborist might need to get their work done each day. This includes shears, chainsaws, a safety helmet, boots, a harness and much more.
All in all, a good climbing rope is an essential part of the equipment that you’re going to use to climb trees. Whilst there are also other accessories and gear that you’re going to need, making sure you’ve got high quality rope should be a must for any arborist.