Climbing trees is a necessity for some, and a fun activity for others, However, you should always ensure that you have the right equipment for it. You need to know that your safety is guaranteed no matter what you do.
To find the best tree climbing harness that ensures your safety isn’t as easy as you think. This isn’t a decision you can take lightly, or you’ll be risking your own safety. Make sure you do your research before you buy a tree climbing harness. Here are some of the best models that you can currently buy online.
Best Tree Climbing Harness
|Hunter Safety System’s X-1 Bowhunter||Check Best Price|
|Black Diamond’s Momentum||Check Best Price|
|Hunter Safety System’s Ultra-Lite Realtree||Check Best Price|
|Oumers’s Climbing Harness||Check Best Price|
|X Ben Climbing Harness||Check Best Price|
Whether you’re a beginner or a professional tree-climber, there’s something for you on this list. Let’s check it out.
Hunter Safety System’s X-1 Bowhunter
- STAY SAFE THROUGHOUT THE HUNT: No dangerous dangling straps or confusing weave-through buckles
- LIGHTWEIGHT MEETS PHENOMENAL COMFORT: Weighs only 2.5 lbs; incredibly lightweight which allows for all-day comfort and mobility
- VERSATILE ENOUGH FOR ALL-SEASON USE: Can be easily worn over lightweight clothes or underneath cold-weather gear for all-season use
- ACCESSORIES INCLUDED: Primary Treestrap, Suspension Relief Strap, Safe-Use Instructions, and DVD all included
- 5 YEAR WARRANTY: Strongest in the industry
One of the best-selling tree-climbing harnesses, Hunter Safety System’s X-1 Bowhunter is a go-to for a lot of people. The best thing about X-1 is that its buckles aren’t a hassle – you don’t need to waste your time figuring out where a buckle is supposed to go and how; you simply buckle-up!
The weather shouldn’t be an issue if you have the X-1. It fits underneath cold-weather gear just as easily as it does over lightweight clothes. X-1 Bowhunter is all-inclusive when it comes to accessories. It comes with a primary tree-strap, suspension relief strap, instructions on safety and use, as well as a DVD. It saves you the hassle of looking for accessories that fit it.
This harness is certified by the Treestand Manufacturer’s Association. It meets all of the safety regulations, making it a reliable product too. So, it’s one of the most recommended tree harnesses currently out there.
Black Diamond’s Momentum Harness
- Pre-threaded Speed Adjust waistbelt buckle
- Bullhorn-shaped waistbelt built using Dual Core Construction
- trakFIT adjustment for easy leg loop customization
- Adjustable rear elastic riser
- Four pressure-molded gear loops
The Black Diamond Momentum is not the most comfortable when it comes to tree harnesses. However, it’s a minimal yet effective design. Don’t let its small size fool you; it can keep you safe and secure.
The Momentum’s belt buckle is quite simple to use, even for a novice. This way, you don’t waste time fumbling with straps and buckles. It’s pre-threaded and adjustable, making it efficient and time-saving.
Your comfort is prioritized with the Dual Core Construction. Two bands are specifically designed to provide you with the support you need without pressure points, all while maintaining your comfort.
It has CLPE foam on the inside and an abrasion-resistant nylon shell. Not only are they there to provide comfort, but also to ensure you have all the versatility you might need. With TrakFIT Technology in place, all you need to do to put the harness on is slide in your legs and adjust the size. Even adjusting the size is easier, since it automatically fits itself to your leg when you slide the adjuster.
Hunter Safety System’s Ultra-Lite Realtree
- SUPERIOR COMFORT: Individual, padded hexagons provide comfort and maximum flexibility in the stand
- SO NON-OBSTRUCTIVE YOU'LL FORGET IT'S THERE: Trim design gives a snug fit without compromising movement
- INCREDIBLY LIGHTWEIGHT: 1.25” upper-body webbing, shock absorbing tether and waist buckle reduces weight and bulk
- FLAWLESS DESIGN: Patented HSS design eliminates dangerous dangling straps and weave-through buckles; secure, mesh cell phone pocket
- 5 YEAR WARRANTY: Strongest in the industry
This is another impressive harness from Hunter Safety. As the name suggests, Realtree is ultra-light. It weighs 2 lbs only, making it one of the lightest and most versatile harnesses available.
The mesh upper body makes it comfortable yet versatile. It allows you to move while keeping you safe. There’s no need to worry about loose straps that might snag on tree branches when it comes to this harness because there are none! It’s all strapped uptight. This harness comes with a climbing strap, tree strap, suspension relief, instructions, and a DVD on safety and usage.
Oumers’s Climbing Harness
- ★ Weight: 120 kg or less small code (S code), 120 kg - 150 kg below medium code (M code), 150 kg or more large size (L code), weight: 580g.
- ★ [High Strength Materials] - Half-length climbing harness made of high-strength polyester material. Has a strong stitching, wear resistance, stronger load bearing and high tensile strength.
- ★ [Alloy Steel Adjusting Buckle] - The waist and leg loops have an adjustable buckle that allows the waist and leg loop to be adjusted to your actual size.
- ★ [Load bearing ring] - The bearing ring is located at the front, and the harness structure distributes the pressure evenly on the waist and leg loops, allowing you to stay comfortable while climbing.
- ★ If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us and we will try our best to help you.
Oumers’s harness is ideal for beginners. It’s quite affordable, so it’s a great option if you’re still trying out climbing trees. Although it’s on the lower price end, it’s still remarkably durable.
Oumers’s harness is equipped with a reinforced buckle that holds you tight. It can bear your weight without breaking or accidentally coming undone. The belt has reinforced loops that can support you through your climbing. Oumers’s harness is comfortable, thanks to its breathable mesh lining.
X Ben Climbing Harness
- Material: nylon webbing, polyester and Dyneema attachment point, polyethylene/EVA foam, closed-cell foam padding, 3D woven polyester mesh.
- Safety First: CE Certified EN 358-2000.Harness Weight Limited:300Kg, Breaking Strength:22KN, strong and secure.
- Fairly comfortable and flexible - Our professional climbing harness is designed to transfer the tension of the rope from the connecting loop to the back of one's thighs--so you're actually sitting in a seat. Climb harnesses Waist Strap: 80-120cm(31.49inch-47inch) Leg Strap: 60-75cm(23.62inch-29.53inch)
- Protect Waist and Quick-adjust leg loops, Best equipment for Rock Climbing, Downhill, Skiing, Ice climbing gear, Construction, Welding, Camping, Winter climbing, Tree Climbing, Hiking, Camping, Engineering protection, Tree Stand Accessories, Training, Aloftwork, Caving, Rappel, Abseiling, Tower, Roofing Working.
- Premium Quality Deluxe Half Body Climbing Harness,Thick,Wider and Safety Waist Belt great for women,men and older children.
Ideal for rock-climbing, mountain-climbing, and tree-climbing, Weanas’s harness can do it all. It’s low-priced, but CE (Certified Equipment) certified.
While some harnesses might have limited usage based on age or gender, Weanas’s climbing harness doesn’t. You can buy one and share it with your whole family, and it’ll fit.
Weanas’s loop is highly durable. It’s reinforced and can take your weight, as well as keep you safe.
Things to Consider before Buying a Tree Climbing Harness
When you’re going to purchase a harness, there are some things that you should take into account beforehand. Here are some factors that can help you determine your choice easily.
The likelihood is that you’re going to be wearing it for a long time whilst you’re climbing. it’s very difficult to relieve yourself from discomfort when climbing a tree, so it’s important that you have the right harness in place. You need to make sure the harness you choose has what it takes to prevent discomfort, and this should be one of your main priorities.
If you live somewhere where it’s often hot, you should bear in mind whether the harness you’re choosing will make you as well. Comfort doesn’t always mean padded and cushiony, especially with harnesses. If you’re going to be climbing in high temperatures, look for something that has straps, rather than the ones that are vest-like.
If you want to go for the vest-like harnesses, since having pockets is quite convenient, make sure they’re made of fabric that doesn’t restrict your movement. Mesh is a great option; it doesn’t restrict your movement and doesn’t make you hot. Go for harnesses that are padded if you need to. Some have memory foam, which is perfect.
Another important thing you need to pay attention to is whether or not the harness is the right gender and size. A lot of harnesses aren’t unisex, so be careful before you buy one. Black Diamond’s Momentum, for instance, has a model for men and another for women – a men’s harness won’t be the ideal size and shape to fit a woman.
If you’d like to save some extra money, you can buy a one-size-fits-all harness. This way, you can share it with your family, rather than getting several harnesses.
A harness is something that’s there to save your life – it’s very important. Choosing the right one that’s patented and certified can make it less of a risk. So, make sure that you’re always using verified products.
Which are the best harness brands
There are quite a few different brands out there for you to consider when you’re buying a harness. But who does it best? Well, here are some of the best harness brands out there.
Hunter Safety System
What’s now one of the leading harness manufacturers, started out in 2001 after an accident almost claimed the life of its founder. John Wynder saved thousands of lives by creating the Hunter Safety System.
Black Diamond started in a backyard in 1957. What started out as forged-climbing gear eventually became best-selling climbing gear. Black Diamond is now dominating the markets of skiing, climbing and trekking gear.
While Oumers isn’t a high-profile company, it’s dominating the harness market nonetheless. Oumers’s harnesses are exceptional, so it’s definitely a top competitor in the harness market.
Weanas Sports and Outdoor Recreation have some of the best outdoor gear on the market. They’ve moved beyond selling camping accessories to climbing and cycling gear as well.
Common Questions about Climbing Harnesses
What do you need to climb trees?
When you’re climbing, the main items that you’re going to need are; a good harness (obviously), rope, a flipline, a helmet if necessary, gloves and some comfortable boots.
Are tree-climbing harnesses expensive?
Generally, harnesses tend to be one of the cheaper items of tree climbing equipment. However, as with all things you can find cheap options and more expensive options out there too.
How can I be safe when tree-climbing?
When you’re climbing trees, a harness is the one thing you really need to keep you sturdy and in place. In general, tree climbing actually isn’t as dangerous as some people think. Just make sure you’re fully aware, and you pay attention to the weather conditions if you live in tropical heat, as this can have a big effect on your ability to climb safely.
Which trees are safe to climb?
Generally, we only have the need to climb larger trees. Of course, it needs to be thick enough to hold your weight, because you’re going to wrap your rope around the tree. So, the branches of the tree should be at least 15 inches in diameter.
Can you use a rock climbing harness to climb trees?
If you already have a rock climbing harness and you’re wondering if you can use it to climb trees, then I’d say that yes, in most cases you can. Of course, this depends on the design of the harness, but the majority of models out there should be good for both.
Does climbing trees damage them?
If you use climbing spikes, then you can end up causing some minor damage to the tree. You can avoid this by using other methods to climb – only arborists really use spikes if they’re going to chop the tree down.
If you want to buy a full tree climbing kit, then check out my guide to the best tree climbing gear. This can help you get everything you need to climb trees safely.
If you’re a beginner and you’re still unsure whether you’ll be tree-climbing regularly, then Oumers’s harness might be your best fit. It’s affordable and gets the job done, without having to invest a significant amount. You might also go with it if you like the option of having a family-shared harness. It’s made to fit a range of different sizes, as well as reliable.
Another good harness that you might want to invest in is the Hunter Safety System’s Ultra-Lite Realtree. It’s tough, comfortable, and it won’t hold you down. However, any of the harnesses that I’ve mentioned here should be good enough to get you started.