If you’re going to be chopping some logs, then the one thing tat you’ll definitely need is a good, reliable chainsaw. A good chainsaw can be the difference between an easy job well done, and a complete failure. Anyone who’s ever used a bad chainsaw can attest to that.
But when you’re trying to buy a good chainsaw, what should you consider? Well, here are a few of the criteria which make a chainsaw a good option.
Best Logging Chainsaw
|Husqvarna 20 Inch 455 Rancher Gas Chainsaw||Check Best Price|
|Greenworks G-MAX||Check Best Price|
|Oregon CS1500||Check Best Price|
|Makita XCU03PT1||Check Best Price|
Husqvarna 20 Inch 455 Rancher Gas Chainsaw
- 455 Rancher chainsaw is an ideal saw for landowners or homeowners who require a high powered and heavy duty chainsaw
- 55. 5cc 20 inch gas chainsaw with guide bar and chain
- 2 cycle engine with Intertie activated chain brake for safety while operating
- Comes with Husqvarna chainsaw Bar cover and 2. 6 ounce bottle of pre-mix fuel Included, Bar and chain oil must be purchased Separately
- Automatic chain oiler delivers a steady supply of bar and chain oil for safe and effective use
For those looking for a good logging chainsaw, you can never go wrong by opting for a Husqvarna. They’re one of the most trusted and reliable chainsaw brands, and there’s a good reason why they’re so popular. One of their bestselling models is the 455, which is perfect for those looking for a large chainsaw.
Although due to it’s size it’s fairly heavy, there’s a lot to like about this chainsaw. It will have no problem with cutting larger logs, and it has more than enough power to get the job done. Whilst it isn’t the top of the range model you might be after, in terms of value for money, I think that it’s one of the best options out there.
As mentioned, this model has a 20 inch bar, which might be a little large for some people. But for logging, it can often pay to have a longer chainsaw, especially if you’re going to be working on an variety of different trees.
- Our GREENWORKS brushless motor provides your GREENWORKS tool with longer run-time, more torque and more power. This leads to less wear and tear, extending the life-time of the tool
- Compatible with GreenWorks G-MAX 40V Li-Ion System offering a range of tools to choose from; Run TimeUp to 90 Cuts
- Brushless motor delivers up to 30% more torque for the greatest cutting performance; Oil Tank : Translucent
- Brushless motor design offers up to 70% less vibration for user comfort while working. 1 battery powers more than 25 tools. Battery Capacity-2Ah
- Chain brake and low kickback chain for increased user safety. Electronic chain brake prevents from accidental kick-backs.Saw Pitch:0.375 inches
If you’d like to opt for a cordless electric chainsaw, then the G-Max by Greenworks is a viable option for logging. It’s able to combine a longer run time with more power, which is what we all want in a chainsaw.
It uses a brushless motor, which allows it to give more torque than your standard chainsaw (they state up to 30% more torque). It also vibrates a lot less than your standard gas chainsaw too, which make sit more comfortable to use, especially for logging. Another one of the benefits of an electric chainsaw is the simple push start on and off switch, which will be preferable to the traditional pull chainsaw.
If you’re wondering what gas chainsaw you can compare it to, it’s most similar to the 435 Husqvarna. It’s 16 inch bar and 10lb weight make it a great choice for those looking for an electric chainsaw.
- Includes 18” guide bar and PowerSharp chain, which minimizes downtime by allowing you to sharpen your chain right on the saw in 3 seconds or less.
- Get to work right away with the instant start capability
- The chain stays oiled using the built-in Lubri-Tec oiling system which reduces chain friction and increases the saw’s run time
- No assembly required; comes pre-assembled
- Low noise, silent between cuts. Chain brake for added safety
If you’re undecided on which chainsaw to opt for, then let me make things a little more difficult for you by including the Oregon CS1500 in this list. It’s a solid choice if you’re looking for an electric chainsaw as opposed to your typical gas models.
Another good thing about this chainsaw is that the chain itself will stay lubricated when you’re using it. This is because it has a built in lubrication system. This can help you to minimize any chain friction dramatically, and overall will help you to increase the run time of your saw.
With an 18 inch guide bar and a super sharp Power Chain, the Oregon CS1500 makes for another wise choice for anyone looking for a good chainsaw for cutting logs.
- Makita-built outer rotor BL Brushless motor direct-drive system provides high power efficiency equivalent to a 32cc gas chain saw
- Variable speed trigger and high chain speed (0-3, 940 FPM) For improved cutting performance
- "Tool-less" chain adjustment for convenient operation and maintenance. Chain pitch: 3/8 inch
- Built-in lock-off lever helps prevent the chain from accidentally engaging. Large oil filling port with view window allows operator to easily add and check bar oil level
- Built-in L. E. D. On/off switch with auto power-off function; automatically shuts the saw off when operation is delayed for extended battery life
For those looking for a smaller chainsaw, then you will want to look at this Makita model. It’s a very good choice for those who don’t need a large 18 or 20 inch chainsaw for logging.
This chainsaw is lithium ion, but it’s approximately equivalent to a 32cc gas chainsaw. You can easily adjust it’s speed, which can help you to get a better cut of your trees. In comparison to a gas chainsaw, it’s actually quite quiet and has zero emissions, which will suit some people.
So overall, it’s a very good chainsaw that might suit if you don’t want a massive chainsaw that will take up half of your workshop. A smaller chainsaw like this might be just what you need.
Common Questions about Logging Chainsaws
What brand of chainsaw do professional loggers use?
You should always be more concerned about the specs of the chainsaw that you’re going to use more than the brand itself. Saying this, there are a few brands which are highly regarded amongst arborists and chainsaw enthusiasts. The two most highly regarded brands are probably Stihl and Husqvarna.
How much does a good chainsaw cost?
You don’t need to spend a ton of money on a good chainsaw. If you’re new to logging, then you can get a chainsaw as cheap as $100 and use that for a while and see how you get on. You can definitely get a good logging chainsaw for this price.
Why does my chainsaw chain dull so quickly?
If your chainsaw is dulling down quickly and you’re needing to replace your dull chain often, then it could be because of a few reasons. The most likely reasons in my opinion are probably because you’re applying too much pressure to the wood when you’re chopping it. It could also be caused by not having the right sized file, which can be another cause of a chainsaw getting dull quickly.
Is Stihl made in China?
The majority of Stihl chainsaws are either made in the United States, or in China. This shouldn’t be taken as an indicator of their quality, as a lot of chainsaw manufacturers have decided to make their chainsaws in China to be able to offer cheaper options.
What size chainsaw should I get?
The size chainsaw that you opt for should really depend on the type of logs you’re going to cut. If you plan on chopping larger trees, then an 18 or 20 inch chainsaw is perfect. For smaller than this, then you can opt for a 14 inch chainsaw instead.
In conclusion, these are just a few of the best logging chainsaws that you can find online. There are many other options out there, and much of your decision will depend on your own personal preference. However, I can be sure that any of the chainsaws listed will do a good job.